Friday 28 March 2014

Sad, Excited, Scared to Death!



 My 'last' day at work was yesterday, Thursday March 27th. Well, I guess I should be honest - my official last day was March 17th - the day I worked. BUT, they asked me to come in for lunch. Free food! I'm there!
Mixed emotions went through my head yesterday as I drove the hour of time along the highway from Niagara to Locke Street Hamilton. This will be the last day I make this trip to work. We went to a little bistro down the street for lunch. We tried not to talk shop but what awaited all of the us the next few months. My co-worker is going on a cruise, for myself, the NEW career path. My co-worker Lisa and I headed back to the office to tie up a few loose ends. Lisa is thrilled with my new position but hates me all at the same time.
We knew each other as kids and reconnected just a couple years ago with many years under out belts. Marriage, kids, great times, sad times. We shared a very special year building a relationship that we both vowed we would keep. We hugged goodbye - chatted for another few moments, hugged goodbye again. After 3 times Lisa said - please leave, I think I'm going to cry. As I walked out the door, my heart sank. Lisa called out - "Have a great weekend! See you next week!" She heard me stop in my tracks, she loudly whispered, "Just humour me". I called back and said my usual - "Don' stay too late! See you next week!"

Today - just taking it easy. Looking through my closet. The last six years I have worked as a Rehabilitation Support Worker for those that have survived a car accident but are now left to deal with a head injury. This job was exhausting - both mentally and physically at times but very rewarding! I have learned so much from my clients. One point: never take your life for granted and appreciate what you can do, each and everyday! My attire? yoga pants, sneakers, t-shirts and hoodies for 6 years! I took on helping out in the office between clients, setting up systems and learning the acquired brain injury lingo and teams. Dress code for the office? Whatever I felt like that day. Jeans with a cute top, dress pants and blouse or even a skirt with a scarf accessory.

Monday March 31st I start my new journey. I accepted a position as Community Sales Lead for Holiday Retirement at Stamford Estates. This is the scared to death part! I have done a little bit of sales with the jobs I have had over the years. BUT I know I can do this! I have had the priviledge to know the compnay as my Grandma Forrest (who just turned 93 last week! Happy Birthday!) lived in one of these communities in Hamilton, Court at Rushdale. They are beautiful retirement facilities. This company takes care of the littlest details.
Dress code? Not yoga pants and tees! Business. Which is great - I LOVE my heels! My tootsies will ache my first couple of weeks! I will be meeting new people. Meeting their needs to have an amazing time in their retirement. Getting out into the community meeting new friends and acquaintances.

I'm waiting for someone to say - ummm Sherri, you have been in the rehab world for 6 years, before that you have worked as executive assistants, fitness trainer and mom. Now! At the ripe age of 46 you are embarking on a NEW journey? That's right! And why not! For years I have been and continue to be involved in leadership development. Subscribing to books to better myself in leadership, people skills, all aspects of my LIFE. All that learning has led me to this! I have been on my LIFE journey the day I arrived and nestled in my moms arms. Just taking a different road that I have been on for the last 6 years. I know my destination. Its the journey that counts.



No comments:

Post a Comment