Sunday 9 February 2014

Call Me Crazy

Before I explain what it is I'm doing, let me take a moment to explain my thinking behind what it is I'm doing.

Remember the movie, The Perfect Storm, and how three major weather events converged at the same place, at the same time to create what meteorologists labeled "the perfect storm"? Well, I had one of those happen in my life this past week (metaphorically speaking of course). Here's what happened:

Storm #1:
I am a grandmother of three beautiful children who call me "Meema". I love the name and I love each of them so much it hurts; but that's not really my point here. My "storm" is that I am a grandmother! I am aging and there is really nothing I can do to stop that fact, however, I can do something about how I look and feel - and lately that has been something I have been neglecting.

My husband loves me and says only amazingly flattering things about me and my appearance. The truth of the matter is however, I am - and feel - completely out of shape. "Beauty is skin deep" they say (who are they?), but I know better. Beauty comes from deep within. It's an inside job, and for me personally, I know I am not at my best, and that makes me feel less "beautiful".

Please understand this is my journey, and these are my feelings. Some of my best friends are "bigger girls" who are absolutely gorgeous inside and out. I am not talking about them, nor do I have anything other than love for them. This is about me.

Storm #2
My across-the-street neighbor, has a new-years resolution to lose some weight. To keep herself accountable, she tries on her bathing suit everyday and looks in the mirror. The result is always an immediate trip to her gym, completely motivated to work hard. #Brilliant

Storm #3
I don't buy a lot of lingerie, but when I do, it is always at La Vie En Rose. I have always found their store to be classy (as opposed to trashy, like many of the other shops here in the honeymoon capital). Because I do shop there, I subscribe to their emails notifying me of sales and special events. This week's email caught my attention only because it arrived at just the right moment, at just the right place in my life right now. It was my perfect storm.

The ad showed a beautiful "20-something" woman modeling a two-piece bikini, advertising for a brand ambassador for their Aqua swimwear line.  

Ok - this is the part you call me crazy.

Typically swimwear models are, like I said, gorgeous, 20-somethings without a single ounce of fat on them. Me: not so much.

I just celebrated my 46th birthday. I am easily 30 pounds over my wedding day weight. I in no way fit the profile of a swimwear brand ambassador and I am not who they are looking for.
I also know that La Vie En Rose does not know that I am not who they are looking for. (wink)

The application process closes on March 9th.

I have some work to do.
I am purchasing an Aqua swimsuit this weekend (still deciding on one or two-piece... what do you think?)
I will, like my neighbor, try it on everyday.
I will post my before and after pictures here on this blog on March 9th as I submit my application. (no way I'm posting them now!)

I invite you to be a part of my journey. I need your encouragement, love and support.
Whether or not I am chosen as the brand ambassador for Aqua, I intend to work hard towards that goal every single day.

So, what do you think? Crazy right?

No comments:

Post a Comment