Tuesday 11 February 2014

Dreading exercise and NO cheating!

Everyday in our life - we need to set goals. If we don't set any - we will jump on any path and eventually end up right where we started - frustrated and ready to quit. 

If I don't know what my goals are or how I'm going to get there - how can I achieve that goal? How can I stay accountable to my word. Speaking my goals into existance, putting them in black and white will help me to strive and achieve them. 
I want you to know that for this next month - I have committed to swear off sweets, sugar, `bad`carbs AND drink lots of water, make healthier choices and oh yeah; workout. Right - there is that `word'..I am so DREADING the workout. However, if I want to succeed, I need to eat healthier and exercise.
My goal? In one months time, to look good in THE swimsuit I just purchased! AND to become the Brand Ambassador for La Vie En Rose Aqua.

The list above is to remind me what I promised to do and what I won't do to achieve my goal. In our house, my husband reminds the children over and over, there is no try - only do. Is this going to be hard? Absolutely! The only thing, at this time, I won't give up my coffee. I have an addiction. There - I said it! Yes, I'm addicted to coffee. I only need one a day, not one pot a day - like some people I know, who will remain nameless. However, if I don't have a coffee 20 minutes from opening my eyes in the morning...let's just say 'it aint pretty'! Along with it comes the migraines. Right now, I think I will be putting my body into enough shock that taking away coffee would send me over the edge. Lets take care of one issue at a time! 

Not to long ago I was a fitness trainer. I was in good shape. Working out all the time - helping clients/members achieve their goals. I wasn't 'muscle' bound or 'defined' but I was strong, lean, healthy and fit. I was happy about how I looked. Over the last 2 years, jobs change, time runs away, get busy running after all my kids and grandkids, playing taxi! This doesn't include my dreams or desires or even time with my hubby! Now I'm, well - remember this is about ME. I'm not pointing fingers (refer to "Call Me Crazy" blog post number one). But I feel a tad overweight. I can't wear most of the clothes in my closet. I'm not the best that I can be
I have been 'active-ish' over the last few years, I certainly don't sit on the couch and eat bonbons everyday. I did train for a half marathon 2 years ago, due to travelling with my son, I missed that marathon. All that to say - I need to preach to the choir! (not you but to ME) I know the do's and don'ts. I know what works and what doesn't work for me. And as for my weaknesses? chocolate, chips and dip! Oh no! I said it! Guess what I'm craving! Can someone pass the celery please? Maybe I can trick my brain..these are chips.. I know it's green and watery tasting, not at all the likness of chips. Oh who am I foolin! Good thing the chips didn't make it into the grocery cart yesterday! 

Just before Christmas I was  feeling sluggish and not happy in my clothes.  I wanted to get into shape. Feel healthier. Feel sexy in my own skin. I had picked up a Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred and I was going to workout every day. Great intentions but no activity. 
Two weeks ago I popped that dvd in and started, determined to workout every day. Let's just say Jillian kicked my rearend all the way to the procelin throne. It was horrible. I felt horrible. I was dizzy, weak kneed, nauseated, queasy, wobbly, oh it was NOT good. My poor dad called me in the middle of the ordeal and I had the poor guy worried - threatening to take me to emerge! He thought I was having a heart attack! Hindsight is always 20/20 - I think I had a mild asthma attack. I have asthma but not until recent years so it never affected my workouts in the past! I crawled over to my couch and slept for 2.5hours waking up groggy and vowing NEVER to workout again. I rationalized and told myself that I could do a little workout here and there and get by. That I only needed a few pounds to take off and maybe if I just take away the chips and pop, I would be fine.  NEVER again was I going to try that workout. I was really feeling defeated. I felt and looked terrible! Not long ago I was fit, I was toned..what happened?! Ah yes - I'm over 40 years of age and my metabolism has grinded to a halt. 


The perfect storm formed. The journey began.  

On Sunday, I convinced myself to give it ONE MORE TRY. 






I headed up the stairs to my bedroom - running shoes on - water in my hand ready to work out!  I did itI finished the workout. And two days in a row! When I felt like I was going down for the count - I slowed down - took it at a 1/4 of the speed.

Did I feel sore and winded - you bet - but I did it!  I'm on the road of my new journey! I have finished the workout - 2 days in a row - here goes my third!


"What you can become depends on what you can overcome." 
Anthony Douglas Williams


No comments:

Post a Comment