Wednesday 12 February 2014

You ARE beautiful!

Another day in my journey! Sorry my blog post is really late - but it has taken some time to write this one and I am a busy mom/meema ;)

I don't want to bore you with "this is what I did at 830am - then 834am and 9am...". You know what I have committed to do along my journey. I want to use this time rather, to share the deeper thoughts and emotions that this challenge is invoking in hopes that perhaps maybe, I might be able to (in some small way) inspire, encourage and help you as you observe me, To understand that no matter our age, size, shape, colour, background, or past, we are strong and we can do what we set our minds to do.

I received a Facebook message from a friend who moved away a long time ago - I'm trying to think back to the last time I saw her. It was probably 20+ years for sure! We have connected over social media the last few years and have enjoyed catching up! I was encouraged to receive this timely note



When I read your words, they resonated huge. Seeing it like that, in writing, made me take a moment to again acknowledge my goals etc. But honestly though, it also made me think how much more we are than our weight, our clothes size, etc. How very hard we are on ourselves. We are strong women, with families, friends, lives to be proud of. We are represented by much more than the number on the scale! I'm right there with you, wanting to be a healthier self, but I think it's important to balance it out. When I ran yesterday and thought I was going to die, I told myself 'you are strong, you are healthier for this, you can do it, this body has grown 3 humans, I'm strong' Anyways! Thanks for your words - your honesty - and your inspiration. I will be following along.


I can't tell you how much her comments, along with the others I've received, mean to me. Thank you for letting me know that we are in this thing together.

I've been thinking of Marilyn Monroe since they other day at La Vie En Rose where the girl assisting me (Emily) commented that my new Aqua swimsuit was "Marilyn Monroe classy",  
I have had an interest in her life for a long time.Maybe it was the old Elton John song, "Candle In The Wind" that peaked my interest. I don't really recall.

Over the years I have read a few books and memoirs about her and always thought Marilyn was beautiful (I still do - I have always wanted Marilyn Monroe hair - style and colour!). I was intrigued by her life and how she bounced around from man to man. Almost like she was looking for something. 
As it turned out, she had a very rough life growing up as a child, Even into her adult years, although she 'looked' happy, happiness seemed to elude her. 

Marilyn tried SO HARD to fit in, to be loved by the right man (which always was the wrong one). Marilyn was a robot - doing exactly what she was told to do, say and be. Tragically, her short life ended at 36 years of age "like a candle in the wind". 

If you Google pictures of Marilyn Monroe, you'll notice as I did, that she wasn't necessarily the modern swimsuit model we see in magaizines today. She fluctuated from a size 6 all the way to 16 (at her heaviest). She was approximately 5' 5" tall and at her heaviest weighed 140 pounds. 
The photo I am posting was taken at her heaviest. Now, I don't know about you, but in my opinion, Marilyn Monroe at 140 pounds radiated beauty. Yes she still looked amazing, beautiful and sexy!

I can't tell you why, as beautiful as she was, Marilyn Monroe was unhappy. I can tell you however, that we, as beautiful women have to STOP allowing media/hollywood dictating what beauty is. Many of the Hollywood "a-list" have money to make their hips shrink and their boobs grow. They have the time and money to hire private personal trainers and workout hours on end if they wish.

I'm talking about me..you..the rest of us! This is about about you and I and our personal and individual journies. It is about who we are trying to become, and to me, that is beautiful.

I will end with the words written by Nike:


“A woman is often measured by the things she cannot control. She is measured by the way her body curves or doesn’t curve. By where she is flat or straight or round. She is measured by 36-24-36 and inches and ages and numbers. By all the outside things that don’t ever add up to who she is on the inside. And so if a woman is to be measured, let her be measured by the things she can control, by who she is and who she is trying to become because as every woman knows, measurements are only statistics, and statistics lie.”     

No comments:

Post a Comment