Monday 10 February 2014

Can You Sell Swimwear & Lingerie AND Change the World?

I've always believed that true change cannot be obtained alone. We are interdependent. It is with this thought in mind that I know I am going to need the help and support of you, my friends, as well as the friends I am about to meet on my journey. Yesterday, I met Emily.

I woke up feeling excited - anxious - apprehensive. Ok, I was a nervous wreck! What have I signed up for? I'm already a busy mom/meema. How could I possibly add MORE to my plate? I've been told many times that if you want something bad enough, you will find the time/money to accomplish your goal. I will find time to make this happen. 

It was a busy day - setting up the blog - lining up the ducks and then launching this journey! After lunch I donned on my workout clothes and runners - ready to (gulp) workout with Jillian Michaels!  (@JillianMichaels)  I found excuse after excuse for a half an hour to try and 'waste' time. I'll go into the reason WHY in a future post. . 
My husband turned to me and says - "ummmm...shouldn't you go pick out a swimsuit BEFORE you get all sweaty?"  RIGHT! I kicked off the runners and put on my boots. (another diversion to not working out) We headed out the door towards the outlet mall here in Niagara to pick out THE SWIMSUIT to represent the challenge (#LVERaquaContest). La Vie En Rose. (@_la_vie_en_rose) I really like their clothing line.. the lingerie AND the comfy pjs, the undergarments and the swimwear! 

That is where I met Emily, the sales associate.  We chatted for a few moments - what I was looking for, what was my style, did I prefer pattern or solid colours? TOO many choices!  I ended up with quite a few pieces of swimwear in the dressing room and one was a bikini! Emily stayed close. I thanked her and warned my hubby to stay VERY close as his wife would NOT be coming out tooooo far. I tried on the bikini as she suggested...didn't look bad. I explained to her the journey I was embarking on and that the swimsuit I chose would be a key to my success.  

Emily is the first person (outside of my four walls) who really seemed to 'get it' when I shared my thinking behind this challenge. She agreed that as women age, there are some that still want to dress like they haven't. For many of us though, if we can figure out "our style", we can radiate the same confidence and (may I say) sexiness that we did in our twenties without having to dress provocatively or suggestive. Does that make sense? 

Let me put it bluntly. There are some 40-somethings that should not wear an itsy-bitsy-teeny-weenie-polka-dot-bikini. I happen to be one.

Now, I did try on a two-piece bikini
I was VERY nervous pulling back that curtain - revealing myself to my husband AND Emily - me - in a bikini! I was extremely self conscious! But she put me right at ease with her sincerity. The fact that she took an interest and understood my mindset in entering this challenge was incredibly reassuring.


"A girl should be 2 things; classy and fabulous"
Coco Chanel


More than just Emily's obvious sense of fashion and amazing customer service; she understood this challenge on a deeper level. While I was changing, we continued our conversation. Our chat came around to her own feelings of self-consciousness in a two-piece. She, in fact, had hers on the night before, doing the 24 hour challenge. Have you heard of this?

"Nominees" have to preform some sort of stunt in the snow wearing only their underwear or swimsuits. Once completed, they post the video on line and nominate others to do the same. The thing that compelled Emily to perform her own 24-hour challenge was the benefit to a friend of hers battling lime disease. For every challenge completed, funds will be donated to help Matt Risi fight this disease.

I was so impressed with this young woman who understood the importance of interconnectedness and doing good where and when we can. Our own family's philosophy has always been "See a need; meet a need" - and what a priveledge to meet others like Emily who share in that sense of duty. 

"Be the change you want to see in the world" Ghandi 

I tried on a few more pieces and suddenly - I found THE ONE! Yup - this was perfect! It was exactly what I was looking for. Emily agreed. The look is classic - "Marilyn Monroe Classic" as she called it.

I felt kinda silly - I mean it took 3 of us to find THE ONE. But - this swimsuit was extremely important. This swimsuit represents `beginning with the end in mind`. This swimsuit will represent my transformation.

I headed home with this special bag - this item of clothing was going to change how I would look at myself for a long time. I don't want this to be a `resolution`. Resolutions come and go, EVERY year! This will be a lifestyle change. This is my transformation .




Change is hardest at the beginning, messiest in the middle and best at the end.
 Robin Sharma


Thank you Emily (@emmmilyd) whether you like it or not - you are now a part of my journey. I am glad I met you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment